With its ancient origins, medieval scripts and heraldic associations, calligraphy is a subject that fascinates and attracts people from all walks of life. It is a creative discipline that is immensely enjoyable for anyone who devotes a little time to the basic training before putting their skills to use in contemporary practical applications.
This expertly presented volume covers all the necessary aspects of the art of 'beautiful writing', setting out the essential tools needed, teaching all the basic strokes to form letters and providing a rich variety of alphabet templates to work from. Also provided is a fabulous gallery of examples of contemporary calligraphy from some of the best calligraphers working today.
In the first section of the book the basics are clearly explained, including which materials and equipment are required. A dozen alphabets are illustrated, showing pen angles, strokes and common group structures. Helpful tips for layout and design are provided and practical techniques are covered in detail, along with a section on using a computer to create stunning digital calligraphy,
The second section of the book presents 50 specially created step-by-step projects, designed to offer practical ideas for using calligraphy in all kinds of ways, including invitations, headed paper, gift boxes, T-shirts and greetings cards. These beautiful projects cover a wide variety of techniques such as embossing, gilding and bookbinding.
With its authoritative text, inspirational gallery of examples, clear step-by-step guidance and alphabet templates, this practical teaching course is the perfect starter manual for beginners, as well as a stimulating sourcebook for more experienced calligraphers.
About the author
- A comprehensive course in the art of calligraphy, suitable for both beginners and experienced calligraphers
- A complete introduction to materials and equipment, along with practical step-by-step guidance on how and when to use them
- Includes templates of 12 of the most popular and beautiful alphabets, ranging from traditional hands such as Gothic, Flourished Italic and Copperplate to contemporary scripts such as Neuland
- All the basics are explained clearly and reinforced by practical exercises
- Covers all the calligraphic techniques, including cutting quills and reed pens, using a ruling pen, gilding and creating digital calligraphy on your home computer
- Over 50 step-by-step projects help you to develop new skills while producing your own party invitations, birthday cards, gift boxes, decorative books, wine labels, calligrams, calendars, place mats and many more attractive items
- Features a stunning gallery of the work of some of the best contemporary calligraphy artists for inspiration
- Beautifully illustrated with over 1000 colour photographs and artworks
Janet Mehigan first studied calligraphy during her five years of training at art college. She holds a BA (Hons) in Education and is a Fellow of the Society of Scribes and Illuminators (SSI), as well as a Fellow and an Associate of the Calligraphy and Lettering Arts Society (CLAS). She teaches both calligraphy and art (drawing and painting) at all levels in adult education and runs numerous workshops for students and calligraphic societies. Her work has been in many exhibitions and she has written several books: Illumination for Calligraphy and, with co-author Mary Noble, The Calligrapher's Companion, The Beginner's Guide to Calligraphy and The Encyclopedia of Calligraphy Techniques. Janet enjoys both contemporary and traditional calligraphy and her beautiful work is full of vibrant colour and interest.
Mary NobIe,Viva Lloyd, Maureen Sullivan, Dr GeorgeThomson and Jan Pickett.
Customers that are Janet Mehigan fans should be aware that this book contains ‘repackaged’ material previously published in the following books also by Janet Mehigan:
However, if you do not have any of Janet’s earlier books then this IS a great book for beginning and intermediate calligraphers that are looking for projects and ideas.
Charlie Perkins - August 2011
- The Practical Encyclopedia of Calligraphy
- 50 Calligraphy Projects
- Practical Calligraphy
Hardback, 256pp, full colour throughout, 18 x 23 cm