The Foundational Hand comprises 6 individual lessons:
Information sheets on ‘Tools and materials for calligraphy’ and ‘Layout’ accompany this course and there is a supplement to Lesson 5 on ‘Margins and the use of credits’.
- Lesson 1 covers:
- Geometric and monoline letters.
- Lesson 2 covers:
- Pen angle.
- Height/weight ratio.
- Double pencil letters.
- Lesson 3 covers:
- Using the pen.
- Pen made letters.
- Simple layout.
- Lesson 4 covers:
- Using larger and smaller nibs.
- Layout, length of line/legibility.
- Lesson 5 covers:
- Weight variations/interlinear space.
- Suitability of weight to text.
- Lesson 6 covers:
- Basic use of colour.
- Writing a finished piece of work.