28 Extraordinary Bookbinding Projects made from Ordinary and Re-purposed Materials.
Take note of life’s pleasures with these charming handmade books
The handmade books presented here offer creative ways for you to explore your personal style and interests:
In this collection of twenty-eight Japanese bookbinding projects, traditional techniques meet contemporary style, from easy-to-fold accordion books to the intricate and interesting Japanese stab-stitch bindings.
- Create a record of this years garden with a book made out of seed packets.
- Collect your favourite recipes under the protective cover of a plastic cutting mat.
- Make simple memo pads out of recycle pin scraps.
Book artist Erin Zamrzla makes Japanese stab binding easy and un-intimidating. Her clear step-by-step instructions make even the more complicated stitches easy to re-create. Information on the basics of bookbinding – including terminology, tools, and techniques – are included and many projects encourage the creative use of ordinary and recycled materials.
Make the projects in this book and discover creative ways to chronicle your lifts adventures.
Introduction to the book by the author:
I love to work with paper, create from scratch, and transform old things into something new and interesting, As an artist, I also sketch, draw, and jot down ideas on the go. Book-binding is the perfect combination of these interests. I make books to use as sketchbooks and journals for myself and for others and must carry a handmade notebook with me at all times. I enjoy the beauty of the papers and bindings as well as the simplicity of an art form that extends back hundreds of years.
The projects in this book are adapted from traditional Japanese bindings for use wide modern materials and purposes. I encourage you to make creative use of easy-to-find supplies that you may already have around the house. The different projects provide fun Ways for you to journal, jot notes, make lists, doodle, draw, and display photos. Many of the completed projects make great gifts as well.
I hope that you fall in love with paper and its possibilities as you create these fun and functional projects. Erin Zamrzla
In this book,Erin Zamrzla has pulled together 28 useful and varied ideas for contemporary bookbinding. After a brief introduction to the book you will fine a gallery of the competed projects. Following this, there the a section on Bookbinding Basics followed by Step-by-Step Instructions for each of the following projects:
- Accordion Books include: Bon Appétit Place Card Read and Write Bookmark Book, Two or Three View Picture, Unfolding Flower Notes, Wish You Were Here Postcard Journal, Travel Photo Album, Tiny Souvenir Book.
- Flutter Books include: Idea File, Sketch-Jot-Journal.
- Four-Hole Binding & Variations include: Tag Notebook, Return-to-Sender Mail Book, Recycle Bin Book, Peek-a-Book, Art Album, Cut-Keep-Collage Storage Book, My Favourite Recipes, My Favourite Cleaning Recipes.
- Yamato Bindings include: P.S. Letter Collection, Leaflet Memo Pad, Sock Book, Pillowcase Dream Journal, Sweet Secrets Sachet Book, Sewing Notions Pincushion Book.
- Account Books include: Tea Bag Tracing Book Gardeners Journal, Wall Art Drawing Pad, Ledger Boons, Gift Tag Book, Recycle Bin Memo Pad.
1st edition, 2014, paperback, 192pp, full colour throughout, 18x23.5cm